International Day of Persons with Disabilities is Saturday, December 3. This day has been celebrated around the world since 1992 and promotes awareness of issues concerning the inclusion of people with disabilities at home, work, school, and all areas of society.
This year’s theme is “Achieving 17 Goals for the Future We Want”. The theme notes the recent adoption of the United Nation’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the role of these goals in building a more inclusive and equitable world for people with disabilities worldwide.
Goal #8 of “Achieve 17” is promote sustained, inclusive, and sustainable economic growth; full and productive employment; and decent work for all. This is what we provide at MDI.
Everyone deserves the opportunity to work. Many people with disabilities have not had the opportunity for a job that fits their skills, interests, and abilities. Here are things you can do to support this goal:
- Positively recognize businesses that hire people with disabilities
- If you are a business owner or hiring manager
- Interview interested candidates who have disabilities, when known
- Offer the job, when appropriate, to a person with a disability
- Think about how tasks done at your business can be done by a person with a disability
- If you currently work with someone with a disability consider how you might better support their success
- Advocate for inclusiveness for all people